Friday, 4 March 2016

Fiction Friday - All About Amber

At the beginning of this year it was announced that Amber Quill Press were closing their doors by the end of March 2016. And in my last Fiction Friday post (which I'm ashamed to say was a month ago--RL has been kicking my arse and I've not had much writing or blogging time at all in February) I said that I would be reading nothing but Amber books for the foreseeable future. I quickly realised that while I have a fair few AQP books in my TBR pile I also have many that are on my wishlist. What would happen to these books once Amber closed?

To find out I put together a Facebook page called 'Where will all the Amber books go?' and invited as many of the Amber m/m authors that I could get in touch with. Not all of them replied. Some I don't think are writing any longer. But there are a good handful who have dropped a post about their plans for the future and what will be happening with their titles. I'm hoping they will post more information there as it becomes available.

On to my reads.

Aquarius: He Said, He Said (Boys of the Zodiac #11) by Jamie Craig - Loved this. A believable romance with realistically written kids. Gorgeous. 4 stars.

My Only Home (My Only Home #1) by Pepper Espinoza. My notes on this story says 'way too many blowjobs'!

Pisces: From Behind That Locked Door (Boys of the Zodiac #12) by Pepper Espinoza. I enjoyed this story about a guy with a poor body image. 4 stars.

Libra: Outlined In Ink (Boys of the Zodiac #7) by Vivien Dean. I was genuinely anxious for the guys at times. The author does a good job of rachetting up the tension and moving the relationship on in a believable way at the same time. 4 stars.

Fool For Love by Cassandra Gold. May to December romance. Sweet with low angst.

Catch Me If I Fall by Riley Knox. There is a story before the start of this book that I would have loved to read. A story of longing glances and awkward behaviour caused by Avery's nerves around his hot 'straight' neighbour. Instead we get the revelation, the date, and the sex. I wanted the both parts of this story, not just the end.

Canines, Crosshairs And Corpses (Brandywine Investigations #1) by Angel Martinez. Excellent book. So much fun. An easy 5 stars. Bought all the sequels.


The Elf and Shoemaker by M.L. Rhodes. Fantasy romance.


Cowboys And Kilts by Erin O'Quinn. 5 stars for the romance. A believable instalove romance with just enough of a helping hand from destiny to make that instant bond plausible. 3 stars for the greater mystery in the story. I was expecting more from it. A great revelation, not an ancient Pict dating app. (Edited my review to remind authors that'anus' has no place in romance. The word, not the body part.) 4 stars in total.


Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters (Offbeat Crimes #1) by Angel Martinez.  An interesting idea but I'd have liked a longer story with more relationship development. Bought the sequel.


Netting Neptune (Southern Cross Resort #1) by K.C. Kendricks. Sweet, slightly melancholy story about believing. In yourself, in others, in love. 4 stars.


Car Wash (Car Wash #1) by Shawn Lane. Down on his luck car washer meets old crush who previously rejected him. Add in creepy boss and also a best friend who ties it in with another Shawn Lane series.


A Valet's Duty by H. Lewis-Foster.  Oh if only this book had been longer. I wanted the delicious UST that only forbidden love in an historical can bring. I had little problem with the words on the page but I wanted more. I wanted more scenes leading up to Rafe's request. I needed to see how they interacted between each bout in the bedroom.  A mere morsel when I wanted a three course meal.


Healer (The Institute #1) by Cassandra Gold. The institute in question is a safe place for 'talented' individuals. Tristan is a healer and Cam is a shapeshifter. Great read. 4 stars.


Heart To Hart (The Gaslight Mysteries #1) by Erin O'Quinn. A couple of issues. The bad guy might as well have had a sign posted above their head it was so obvious who it was from the very beginning. There is a lot of sex in this book and some of the early encounters feel a tad dub con. Sometimes Michael's accent can get a little hard to read all of the time. But none of these things were enough to put me off buying the next three books. Engaging and entertain read. 4 stars.


Kissing Sherlock Holmes by T.D. McKinney & Terry Wylis. I enjoyed this even though I guessed the perpetrator of the crime long before the halfway point of the book. Low/no on page sex scenes. I've read some reviews that say the voice of Watson was caught quite well, while others have said it was amiss. It's been too long since I have read ACD to form an opinion. 4 stars.


Not an AQP book but I read it because I wanted to know what the author was like:

Scandal Fever by Hunter Raines. Tropes. Flirty twink. Check. Closeted cop. Check. Enforced living together. Check. Okay so the mystery was pretty flimsy but I wasn't reading for that. All in all an enjoyable read for me. 4 stars.


That's the AQP books I've read so far. Don't forget some of these books may disappear forever.

Now I just need to decide what I want to buy before Amber close forever.

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about Amber AND Samhain - still sad over that. Good tip to pick up our want list quickly!

    Still not on FB LOL

    ReplyDelete