Friday 16 September 2016

Fiction Friday

I start this Fiction Friday with... comics.

Yes, I read (in some cases re-read) the first 5 issues in the new Spider-man/Deadpool comic. I have them as individual comics but they are collected in Vol 1: Isn't it Bromantic. A big 5 stars for the volume as a whole (with some of the comics hitting 4 and others 5 stars). Deadpool is doing his damnedest to befriend Spider-man. The dance sequence in issue 4 is particularly inspired. *croons* "I had the time of my life and I owe it all to you."

I did say I would read some old books that had been hanging about on my Kindle. And I did start that with My Fair Captain by JL Langley, which I'd had hanging about since Nov 2012! I have the second book in the series somewhere and should dig it out before I forget the overarching story arc.

Unfortunately (or not) my plans were ruined by Jay Northcote and In To You. I reviewed it here on release day. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

After that my book finding lethargy struck again. I put my Kindle2 (the paperwhite) in alphabetically order and I've been reading whatever the next unread book is, regardless (unless it is part of a series and I have books to read in front of it). I started this system on 24th August and I'm still using it.

First up the number titles.

2015 Top Ten Gay Romance - an anthology by JMS Books. My favourite stories were (all 4 star reads) were Batteries Not Included by J.L. Merrow, Just My Style by J.M. Snyder, & What's in Your Box? (Djinn #1) by A.R. Moler. (NB I didn't read Hat trick because I've read the rest of the series.)

629 Miles To Love by Fae Sutherland & Marguerite Labbe. This was one of the books I picked up at Amber just before they closed. Lovers Reunited trope. I was rooting for these guys from the beginning.

Then, within the space of a couple of hours, I dnf'd 5 books, all from the same series. And then the first A book I picked up was another DNF. It was time to break the book slump.And there was one book I wanted to read knowing that the author would be at the UK Meet, and that I had owned for some time. And it was at the other end of the alphabet completely!

What was it? Well, it was delightful. And I'll tell you the title in part two of this post.



1 comment: