Tuesday 27 November 2018

Readers Block - A Guest Post by Brigham Vaughan

I'm happy to welcome Brigham Vaughan to the blog to celebrate her new release: Trust the Connection.

Readers Block

Authors talk a lot about writer’s block. But I seem to have reader’s block.
I can spend all day typing away and getting words on the page. My goal for a week is usually around 10,000 words. I’m not going to say it’s easy. Some days are harder than others. Some days words fly off the page and others it’s a struggle to get them out. But getting words out of my brain is fairly consistent for me.
Getting them in? That’s something else entirely.
Growing up, I was a voracious reader. As a kid, I devoured books. During the summer, I’d go to the library and come out with a stack half as tall as I was. Since I was 5’5” by 4th grade, let me tell you, that was a lot of books. And I’d be back in a week, needing more.
Even in college I managed to find time to read for fun. When I worked, I always read on my lunch break. And even when I was working full-time and writing (nearly) full-time, I still managed it. But I’ve been writing full-time for about three years now. And especially in the past year or so, my reading has drastically fallen off.
Some of it’s that I am working myself hard. Recently,  I’ve set aggressive goals to release a book every two months. And that’s just my solo novels. I also co-write with K. Evan Coles and we’re in the midst of a 4-novel series. I’ve also been trying to learn more about marketing and promotion and be more organized and strategic about my career. It all takes a lot out of me.
I know for a fact that the current political climate isn’t helping.  I’m trying to be more active and engaged but it can all be quite exhausting. So I know that’s taking a lot out of me.  My romantic life has been less than stellar in the past year, which is disappointing and frustrating.
So it all adds up.  But it’s hard to lose one of my most dearly loved forms of escapism.
Except, it no long feels like escapism. Frankly, it feels like work.
When I try to read, my brain feels sluggish and uncooperative. It’s like trying to jam more clothes in an already stuffed-to-the-brim closet.
Forget writer’s block. I’ve got reader’s block.
Given a choice between writing and reading, I’ll pick writing. But it makes me sad. I don’t want to have to make that choice.
So I wonder; is there a maximum number of words that my brain can handle in a week? A month? A year?
Have I simply reached my limit?
Or is there a way to reset my brain. Can I get back to being the voracious reader I used to be?


Read on for a chance to enter a giveaway





Title: Trust the Connection
Author Name: Brigham Vaughn
Scars run deep but run loves even deeper.
After a lifetime of being told he’s worthless, Evan Harris is forced out of the closet and the only home he’s ever known. Jobless and homeless, he makes a desperate call to a couple he barely knows. They give him a place to stay at their place in Atlanta while he gets back on his feet. But he’s too shy to explore the big city and go after what he wants: a relationship.
Physically and emotionally scarred from a devastating car accident, Jeremy Lewis struggles to reconcile the brash, outgoing man he used to be with the social recluse he’s become. He’s resigned himself to being alone, but an encounter with an ex-boyfriend shakes up his dull existence and brings Evan into his life.
Loneliness draws Evan and Jeremy to each other, but a strong mutual attraction isn’t enough.  At thirty-six, Jeremy is convinced a relationship would be holding twenty-one-year-old Evan back.
Evan must be strong enough to fight for what he wants and Jeremy must let someone close enough to see his scars. Otherwise, they’ll miss out on the love of a lifetime.
NOTE: This story was previously published as a two-volume serial under the titles of “Connection” and “Trust”. Minor updates have been made but the story is essentially unchanged.
This is a re-release.
Publisher: Two Peninsulas Press (Indie/Self-Published)
Publication Date: November 20, 2018
Word Count /or Page Number: 145,480 words/425 pages
Formats/Price: eBook - $5.99 (Available on KU)
Buy Links:


Rafflecoptor Givaway:
Brigham Vaughn is offering a $20 Amazon Gift Card.
Author Bio:
Brigham Vaughn is on the adventure of a lifetime as a full-time author. She devours books at an alarming rate and hasn’t let her short arms and long torso stop her from doing yoga.  She makes a killer key lime pie, hates green peppers, and loves wine tasting tours. A collector of vintage Nancy Drew books and green glassware, she enjoys poking around in antique shops and refinishing thrift store furniture. An avid photographer, she dreams of traveling the world and she can’t wait to discover everything else life has to offer her.
Her books range from short stories to novellas. They explore gay, bisexual, lesbian, and polyamorous romance in contemporary settings.
To stay up to date on her latest releases, sign up for the Coles & Vaughn Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/dkyS7P
Social Media Links:
Facebook Fan Group (Brigham’s Book Nerds): https://www.facebook.com/groups/brighamsbooknerds/



2 comments:

  1. I would love to read more of this book. It sounds wonderful. Love knows no boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like broken characters, chosen family, lashings of angst, and an age difference, then you'll love this.

      Delete