Friday 25 January 2019

It's back (again). It's Fiction Friday



I bet you thought I buried this segment. I have neglected it somewhat and that's not good, because I read some things that deserve a mention in recent months. This may take a couple of posts.

Awakenings and French Songs by [Iris, Nell]
Awakenings & French Songs by Nell Iris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not what I was expecting after reading the first few pages.
Lovely short read.
No steam or angst. This is that perfect moment story. The point in the story when everything sorts itself out. I'd have loved to read a novel length story of these two with all the mutual pining and unrequited love leading up to this moment. But as it is this is a gentle read and provides a suitably sweet epilogue.



Grilled Cheese and Goblins: Adventures of a Supernatural Food Inspector by Nicole Kimberling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Cherries Worth Getting: An interesting world with two solid leads and a well thought out investigation. Would have loved a longer investigation to stretch out the romance. 4* (This was taken from my review of Irregulars) 2nd read through: Still loved it. In awe of the world building. Glad I've got a whole book of Keith and Gunther to enjoy.

Grilled Cheese and Goblins: Adventures of a Supernatural Food Inspector by [Kimberling, Nicole]Cookie Jambore: 4*

A Christmas Coda that takes place between Cherries Worth Getting & Magically Delicious. This is a sweet and romantic short story that not only shows Keith joining Gunther in one of his regular commitments, but also deals with how the couple decide to move in together.

The Little Golden Book of Goblin Stories: 4*

Gunther has asked Keith to find a special book from his childhood. This cute story reveals how amazing Gunther's Mum is.

Magically Delicious: 4*
Previously released in Charmed and Dangerous.

This story focuses more on Keith than on the relationship. Keith and Gunther are now living together and someone is 'attacking' NIAD agents with pixie-dust. Gunther becomes the 8th agent to be effected. Keith's not the kind of boyfriend to sit by Gunther's hospital bed wringing his hands, so he heads out determined to find out who's behind the attacks. Although Gunther is in the background, Keith's realisations about his relationship are interspersed with his investigation. And there is a lovely scene with Gunther's parents. The leprechauns are great fun, especially the one who becomes Keith's temporary partner/son.

The Most Important Meal of The Day: 4*

Haha. This one is fun and graphically violent with people being ripped in two or eaten by a monster from the sky. Keith and Gunther are the only ones who can save the world, but they're about to have breakfast when the apocalypse strikes.

Bring Out the Best: 4.5*

Keith and Gunther have been living together for a couple of years when Keith starts investigating a case of bad blood being delivered to non-humans. Gunther's cousin comes to stay after being kicked out of the Air Force and spends a lot of time making toast and mooning over the plane he left behind. Gunther saves Keith when he does something stupid, but ultimately it's Keith that solves the case and proves his worth. The relationship is great in this one and it's obvious how much their relationship has thrived in this one. Brilliant ending.

While most of these stories received 4 stars from me, I have to give the overall book 5 stars. The collection shows the overall progress of the relationship and Keith's transformation back into fully functioning human. He's come a long way from the first story. All due to the love of a trans-goblin.

Over and Over Again by [McCade, Cole]

Over and Over Again by Cole McCade       
Available in Kindle Unlimited   

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Slow, gentle, melancholy, and at times quite heartbreaking.
I have no words. Cole McCade has stolen them all from me.





Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride by [Easton, Eli]
Robby Riverton: Mail Order Bride by Eli Easton 
Available in Kindle Unlimited

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG, that was the best thing ever. So much fun. Western adventure meets romantic comedy, with a Some Like it Hot vibe. I laughed, I gasped, I cried (goddamit), I fell in love with all the characters.

This is a  brilliant and funny romp through the Old West. I've already added it to my 'comfort listens' list. I can guarantee I'll be back on the old homestead before the year is out.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment