Friday 20 May 2016

Fiction Friday

Let's recap. My main reading challenge at the moment is to attempt to read a book by every author attending the UK Meet this year.


Best thing to do is start at the beginning or I'll just end up picking my favourites again.

A is for Abigail Roux. Yes, *sigh* I still have the whole of the Cut and Run series to read but I don't have time for that with this challenge needing to be completed by September! So I picked The Gravedigger's Brawl. I expected this story to be historical for some reason. I think it was the cover that gave me that impression. As such I was irrationally disappointed when I realised it was a contemporary.

Then I moved on to an anthology and successfully killed two birds with one stone. 'Seems a bit harsh.' Okay, I ticked Alina Popescu and Lily G Blunt off the list by reading Encore, a Wayward Ink anthology about musicals. A good collection of ten short stories based on or set around the world of musicals. My favourite story of the bunch was A Man who Measures Up, about an AmDram production of Rocky Horror. My review for the whole anthology is here.

Lone Wolf (Bluewater Bay #4) by Aleksandr Voinov & L.A. Witt. True I had no need to read this story for the challenge, I have read enough by both these authors, but I couldn't resist. Also it was my next story up in the Bluewater Bay series, so it made a tiny bit of headway in the forever ongoing 'finish all the series you've started' challenge. The writer problem/fandom issues made this story. Some of it felt so familiar.

The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries #1) by Charlie Cochrane, Excellent mystery of the cosy variety with added romance and a distinctly British feel.

I've not just been reading UK Meet stories though.

I once swore I'd never read shifter stories. I lied. Now there are some that I absolutely love. True they are generally quirky or different rather than traditional shifter stories. This one is different.
Wolf, WY by AF Henley. Beautifully written and visual book with an interesting look at pack dynamics from an outsiders POV. Loved this.

And I've literally just finished this one.

Hexbreaker (Hexworld #1) by Jordan L. Hawk. Excellent historical with a magic twist. You don't have to have read The 13th Hex to read this but why would you want to miss out on that short story gem. Book 2 please...



2 comments:

  1. OOh I think I've read Lone Wolf - I've read so many of that series, that I can't remember which ones I have and haven't read without more to go on LOL. I know I haven't read Selfie or the one about Ari...those two I know for sure...

    OMG WOMAN why have you not read Cut and Run? (not that I should talk because I still have to read the last four!!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read those series in order so I always know where I am.

      I know, I know, but then have read Somebody Killed his Editor and the rest of that series yet? I've only been nagging you for years!

      Delete