Saturday 14 May 2016

Rainbow Snippet 14/15 May



Rainbow Snippets is a Facebook Group that invites authors to post 6 sentences of their work each weekend. It can be from anything you like, your current WIP, a recent release, the golden oldie that even you had forgotten you had written, or just a scrap of an idea (as long as it has 6 coherent sentences). Nothing of your own work worth mentioning? How about a 6 sentence review of your favourite LGBTQ+ story.


I've finally remembered to post a Rainbow Snippet. Seemed appropriate to pick the opening lines of Resistance since it has just been sent off to the editor's for spit 'n' polish. All, some of none of these words may make the final cut. So grab 'em while they're still around.

Resistance is the follow up story to Resonance. Six weeks later...



A smile can always be heard in your voice.
He could almost hear his mum uttering those words of wisdom—just nine of many in her repertoire—and for a moment Rick wished his parents still lived in the village. That he didn’t need to travel halfway around the world for a hug from his mum.
Not that she’d entertain his chiping for more than a moment before he got a bannicking. She’d always listened to his complaints, would offer advice where necessary, but stupidity would be followed by a whack upside his head or being chased off with the yard brush. He smiled at the memories the thought conjured up. No, his mum would provide no help in this situation. 


13 comments:

  1. Now I need to know what kind of "situation" he's gotten himself into. (I think I like his mum, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Shame she's in Australia. I might have to bring her home for a visit in a later story :)

      Delete
  2. Rick's got a wise, mum, I think. :-)
    Yes, I want to know what mischief Rick's got up to that makes him wish for his mum's help, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...although I, too, am curious about Rick's need for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Rick's right, she wouldn't be at all sympathetic.

      Delete
  4. The first sentence nicely sets the tone, although I do wonder what situation he's in. I want to meet his mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I think I like his mum. Wonder what he's up to that she would need to take such "drastic" measures with him, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *lol* Another fan of Mum here! She obviously taught him well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, mummy's boy. Shame she's so far away because it sounds like he might need her, even if it's for a whack around the head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mum has those saying too. Now I use them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mum definitely sounds pretty awesome. lol Poor Rick. Can't wait to find out what he's gotten himself into. In the mean time... I think I'll go back and re-read Resonance. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read this and even I wanna know what situation!!!

    ReplyDelete