Thursday 22 March 2018

Listen with Lillian - The Fireman's Pole

I love an audiobook. Although generally, due to the cost, I will only buy audios of books that I have already read and enjoyed. And knowing the story means that I miss nothing if my attention should lapse for a moment, because I normally listen to audiobooks while I’m doing something else. They make a lonely drive pass in a flash, the treadmill at the gym much less arduous, and food shopping more pleasurable. And because I love them I think everyone else should love them too, or at least give them a fighting chance.

So, I’ve decided I’ll do a weekly, maybe fortnightly (you know how good I am at keeping to a schedule), post of my favourite audiobooks. Or new releases that catch my attention.

First up, one of my chums has a new(ish) audio release out.

The Fireman's Pole cover art
The Fireman’s Pole (Dreamspun Desires)
By: Sue Brown
Narrated by: Finn Sterling
Length: 5 hrs and 16 mins
Unabridged
Release date: 02-02-18
Language: English
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press LLC




The flames of passion rise for the lord of the manor.

It’s springtime in Calminster village, but things are already heating up. Sexy firefighter Dale Maloney is new to the local station. When Dale backs the company fire engine into the village maypole, he attracts the ire - and attention - of Benedict Raleigh, the Baron Calminster.

Soon after meeting Dale, Ben breaks off his relationship with his girlfriend, and the sparks between Ben and Dale are quickly fanned into flames.

Unfortunately, the passion between the two men isn’t the only blaze in the village. An arsonist’s crimes are escalating, and it’s up to Dale and his crew to stop them. Meanwhile, as they investigate, an unscrupulous business partner attempts to coerce Ben into marrying his daughter. The May Day parade is around the corner, but they have plenty of fires to put out before Ben can finally slide down the fireman’s pole.

Buy link: myBook.to/FiremansPoleAudio

My two pennies worth.

I’m a sucker for stories set in a small British villages or communities (I say British rather than English because two of my favourites are Elin Gregory’s The Bones of Our Fathers, which is set in Wales and Clare London’s Romancing the Ugly Duckling, set in Scotland). Hell, I’ve even written my own (shameless self-promo for Village Love series). So you can imagine my joy when Sue Brown released The Fireman’s Pole.

Firstly, that’s a super title and ripe for some good old British innuendo, nudge nudge wink wink, say no more, but Sue uses it sparingly and isn't ramming pole and wood jokes down our throats every few pages.

Secondly, not only do we have a village setting, with a ‘Lord of the Manor’ but we have Firemen too. Yes folks, Men in Uniform alert. Could this book get any better? There’s camaraderie between the fire crew, a village rallying together, a May Day parade, and some great secondary characters, including a female character you prepare yourself to hate who actually turns out to be completely kickass.

If I have one qualm it is directed at the publisher. An English village setting really needs a British narrator, or at least one that can do a passable English accent. While the accent Finn Sterling applies to Benedict is fine, I didn’t like the one he did for Dale. Also, it’s slightly disconcerting to have the voices in English and the narrative in American. Please, please, please can we have an English narrator.

An endearing tale with a very British feel and great setting. And I love gruff but kind Benedict.




No comments:

Post a Comment