Friday 10 August 2018

Fiction Friday

Just two today, because I've mostly been reading for blog post reviews, so I'm taking advantage of the Goodreads 'post to blog' button.


40794384Escaping Exile by Sara Dobie Bauer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Excellent. An interesting take on a vampire story.
There's nothing sparkly about Andrew. He's not a soft-focus vampire, he's charmed and killed. Killed one too many times, which is how he ends up in exile, his only companions a tribe of cannibals, who he can't kill because they smell of death and decay. And who don't try to eat him for the same reason.
Then one day a ship crashes during a storm and a live sweet smelling man is swept ashore. Food, is Andrew's initial thought, until he catches sight of his 'dinner' and wonders if company would be a better use of the gorgeous man.

Edmund is, well, there's not a lot I can reveal about Edmund that wouldn't be more fun to out as the story unfolds (it's written solely in Andrew's POV, so we get the reveals at the same time as Andrew). I did love him though.

This book is well written and creates a perfect setting and story in such a short read (1 hr - 1.5 hrs). It's written in present tense, which I always find jarring at first but I settled into it quickly enough.
The book finishes on a 'to be continued'. This is not a cliffhanger. There is no danger present and the relationship is solid. Personally I'm happy with where the story leaves off and would regard that as a completed story. However, if I get the chance I'll certainly pick up the next book in the series.



40236046
Ghost's Sight by Morwen Navarre

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Interesting world building in a post apocalyptic setting where mankind has been reduced to scavengers and starting again, as hunter/gathers and where witches are healers. Ghost is a sweet and very innocent character, a rare male witch with the sight. I really liked the gentle relationship between Ghost and Gerry, even though it was almost instalove, but in this world alpha leaders take on dependants, who aren't necessarily lovers, but who they become responsible for.

A quick and enjoyable read.

There's a sequel to this one which I hope to read shortly.




No comments:

Post a Comment