Wednesday 16 December 2015

P is for

Plum Pudding*

*disclaimer. Does not contain actual plums. It appears that the plums in question (seriously I'm only just keeping a straight face here. I feel like I'm in a Carry On film) are actually raisins. Although they may have been prunes at some point in the pudding's long history. Or figs, considering the reference to figgy pudding in 'We wish you a Merry Christmas'.

Anyhoo, I had intended to post a long and elaborate history of the Christmas pudding. Long, confusing, and *jerks awake* Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, the middle ages somewhere... But I got bored and starting looking for an image on Creative Commons to grace this post.


The Captain of HMS MALAYA helping himself to plum pudding during Christmas dinner at Scapa Flow, 25 December 1942. A13566
By Hudson, F A (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer [Public domain], 
via Wikimedia Commons

That's when I found these and since I couldn't chose just one image I decided to pick a few and say 'sod the history lesson'.

"The Captain of HMS MALAYA helping himself to plum pudding during Christmas dinner at Scapa Flow, 25 December 1942."











Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser pouring the rum into the Christmas pudding mix on board HMS DUKE OF YORK, November 1943. A20183
By Royal Navy official photographer [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


Because these are a history lesson by themselves, just one of a different kind and one that made me smile.

"Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser pouring the rum into the Christmas pudding mix on board HMS DUKE OF YORK, November 1943."

I have to confess I first read this title as 'Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser pouring the rum onto the DUKE OF YORK, November 1943' which conjured up a whole different picture in my mind.





Tasting the Christmas pudding aboard HMS COCHRANE, November 1940. A1988
By Beadell, S J (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons




I love this one. I think it's my favourite.

"Tasting the Christmas pudding aboard HMS COCHRANE, November 1940"

Charlie Cochrane, is this anything to do with you?








Members of the Women's Royal Naval Service sampling the Christmas pudding at Greenock in Scotland, 19 December 1942. A13392
By Beadell, S J (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


I could have carried on posting these for hours. One more. Ladies this time.

"Members of the Women's Royal Naval Service sampling the Christmas pudding at Greenock in Scotland, 19 December 1942"










If you really are interested in the history of Plum pudding there's quite an interesting blog post on the subject here.

4 comments:

  1. I can neither confirm or deny it. I do have an HMS Cochrane hat band.

    Lovely pictures (and text). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt that for a moment.

      Thanks. The photos inspired me :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh these are GREAT pictures! Ofc I'm going to love ALL THE NAVY :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they splendid? Such a find :D All the Navy, indeed. Even submariners ;)

      Delete